Skanska is one of the world’s leading project development and construction groups, with expertise in construction, development of commercial and residential projects as well as public-private partnerships. We create sustainable solutions and aim to be a leader in quality, green construction, work safety and business ethics.
Our mission is to develop, build and maintain the physical environment for living, traveling and working.
Our vision is to be a leader in our home markets, to be the customer's first choice in construction and project development.
Targets and values
Our overall goals are:
- Generate customer and shareholder value.
- Be a leader, in terms of size and profitability, within our segments in the home markets of our construction business units
- Be a leading project developer in local markets and in selected product areas.
We create sustainable solutions and aim to be a leader in quality, green construction, work safety and business ethics. We also aim to maximize the potential of Skanska with regard to returns, see Financial and qualitative targets.
Our values are based on our Code of Conduct and expressed in the qualitative targets of our five zeros:
- Zero loss-making projects
- Zero environmental incidents
- Zero work site accidents
- Zero ethical breaches
- Zero defects
Read more on Our targets.
Our strategy is to:
- focus on our core business in construction and project development in selected home markets
- focus on recruiting, developing and retaining competent employees and to take steps to achieve increased diversity
- be a leader in idenitifying and systematically managing risks
- be an industry leader in sustainability development, particularly in occupational health and safety, the environment and ethics
- take advantage of financial synergies in the Group by investing the cash flow from construction operations in project development
- utilize potential efficiency gains found in greater industrialization of the construction process and coordination of procurement
Read more about our strategy and the Profitable Growth Business Plan on Our strategy.
Organization and markets
Skanska is one of the world's ten largest construction companies, employing 57,000 employees in selected home markets in Europe (Sweden, Norway, Finland and Estonia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, the UK), the U.S. and Latin America.
Our single largest home market is the U.S., followed by Sweden. Read more on Our organization and Our geographic markets.
President and CEO
Johan Karlström has been President and CEO since 2008. The CEO and the eight Executive Vice Presidents form the Senior Executive Team.
Chairman of the Board
Stuart E. Graham has been the Chairman of the Board since April 2012.
Our largest shareholders in percent of voting rights are Industrivärden, Lundberg Group and Alecta. Read more about our Ownership structure.
Skanska's operations are divided into four business units:
- Construction - our largest business stream, including residential and non-residential and building construction in the Nordic countries, Central Europe, the UK, the U.S. and Latin America.
- Residential Development - invests in and develops homes for sale directly to consumers in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Estonia, Poland, Czech Republic and the UK.
- Commercial Property Development - initiates, develops, leases and divests commercial property projects - mainly office buildings, shopping malls and logistics properties with a green profile - in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania and the U.S.
- Infrastructure Development - develops and invests in public-private partnership (PPP) projects and infrastructure solutions - e.g. highways, hospitals, schools and power generation stations - in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia, the UK, the U.S and Chile.
For more information, see Business streams and Our services.
Skanska in figures
|Key financial figures 2012
||SEK 132 billion
|Income after financial items
||SEK 4.6 billion
|Return on equity
||SEK 120.1 billion
|Earnings for the period per share
For more financial figures, visit Financial information.
Skanska is headquartered just outside Stockholm, Sweden, and the share is listed on the NASDAQ OMX Exchange Stockholm. For more information about the share, visit Share performance.
Below is a short version of the long history of Skanska:
- 1887: Aktiebolaget Skånska Cementgjuteriet - the origin of the company - was established and started by manufacturing concrete products.
- 1897: First international operations were established.
- Mid-1950s: Major move made into the international market, entered South America, Asia and Africa (of which the two latter no longer are a part of the Skanska Group).
- 1971: Entered the U.S. market.
- 1965: Listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange A-list.
- 1984: Skanska became the Group's official name.
Read more and see the film about Skanska's history on Our history.