Skanska is one of the world’s leading project development and construction groups, with expertise in construction, development of commercial and residential projects as well as public-private partnerships. We create sustainable solutions and aim to be a leader in quality, green construction, work safety and business ethics.
Our mission is to develop, build and maintain the physical environment for living, traveling and working.
Our vision is to be a leader in our home markets, to be the customer's first choice in construction and project development.
Targets and values
Our overall goals are:
- Generate customer and shareholder value.
- Be a leader, in terms of size and profitability, within our segments in the home markets of our construction business units
- Be a leading project developer in local markets and in selected product areas.
We create sustainable solutions and aim to be a leader in quality, green construction, work safety and business ethics. We also aim to maximize the potential of Skanska with regard to returns, see Financial and qualitative targets.
Our values are based on our Code of Conduct and expressed in the qualitative targets of our five zeros:
- Zero loss-making projects
- Zero environmental incidents
- Zero work site accidents
- Zero ethical breaches
- Zero defects
Read more on Our targets.
Organization and markets
Skanska is one of the world's ten largest construction companies, employing 57,000 employees in selected home markets in Europe (Sweden, Norway, Finland and Estonia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, the UK), the U.S. and Latin America.
Our single largest home market is the U.S., followed by Sweden. Read more on Our organization and Our geographic markets.
President and CEO
Johan Karlström has been President and CEO since 2008. The CEO and the eight Executive Vice Presidents form the Senior Executive Team.
Chairman of the Board
Stuart E. Graham has been the Chairman of the Board since April 2012.
Skanska's operations are divided into four business units:
- Construction - our largest business stream, including residential and non-residential and building construction in the Nordic countries, Central Europe, the UK, the U.S. and Latin America. Collaboration with the Group's other business streams and the Company's collective financial resources enable us to take on large, complicated projects where few competitors can measure up its expertise and strength.
- Residential Development - invests in and develops homes for sale directly to consumers in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Estonia, Poland, Czech Republic and the UK.
- Commercial Property Development - initiates, develops, leases and divests commercial property projects in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania and the U.S. Focus is on office buildings, shopping malls and logistics properties with a green profile.
- Infrastructure Development - develops and invests in public-private partnership (PPP) projects and infrastructure solutions in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia, the UK, the U.S and Chile. Examples of such projects are highways, hospitals, schools and power generation stations, which can be divested after completion to long-term investors.
For more information about our operations, see Our services.
Our largest shareholders in percent of voting rights are Industrivärden, Lundberg Group and Alecta. Read more about our Ownership structure.
The origin of the company dates back to 1887 when aktiebolaget Skånska Cementgjuteriet was established and started by manufacturing concrete products. Our first international operations were established in 1897. In the mid-1950s the company made a major move into the international market, entering South America, Asia and Africa. The two latter continents are no longer a part of the Skanska group. In 1971 the company entered the US market.
The company was listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange A-list 1965. In 1984 Skanska became the Group's official name.
Read more and see the We are Skanska film, produced in connection with Skanska's 125th anniversary in 2012, and the film about Skanska's history on Our history.
Skanska is headquartered just outside Stockholm, Sweden, and the share is listed on the NASDAQ OMX Exchange Stockholm. For more information about the share, visit Share performance.
Skanska in figures
|Key financial figures 2012
||SEK 132 billion
|Income after financial items
||SEK 4.6 billion
|Return on equity
||SEK 120.1 billion
|Earnings for the period per share
For more financial figures, visit Financial information.