The eight story office building and the adjacent conference center for the European Chemicals Agency, ECHA, are located in the Telakkaranta area in Helsinki. The area is one of the very last old industrial sites in downtown Helsinki and the project has included elements of the history. The cranes will be preserved in front of the office building.
The new office building was built on top of an old red-brick woodwork shop. It is the oldest building in the area, built in 1898 and designed by Theodor Höijer.
Also, a protected old building located next to the office building was entirely renovated into a conference and events center. Only the original facade is left, inside the building everything is new. The conference center building used to serve as an engineering workshop. The building was built in 1916 and was designed by architect Sune Maconi.
Development of the area
The entire area will be transformed in to a modern hub that will also include residential and other premises, such as restaurant and cafes. Skanska is also currently building homes for 300 residents and public parking garage in Telakkaranta.
After the area is finished the lively sea promenade will be open for all – the whole area has been closed for public over 100 years until now. The whole area is completed by 2026.
City of Helsinki and Skanska organized an architecture competition in 2011, and the winner was a Danish Architect firm Lundgaard & Tranberg Arkitekter A/S, with their work “Living Harbour”. This served as a base for the new city plan, which was put into effect in 2016.