Skanska provided construction management at risk services for the phase two expansion of an existing medium security correctional facility that incorporates detention offices for the Wake County Sheriff, City/County Bureau of Identification (CCBI), Wake County Magistrates, District Courtroom, arrestee processing and inmate housing. The $122.3 million project was completed in four phases, finished $35 million under budget and two months ahead of schedule.
Ultimately the expansion added 414,950-SF of new space that includes:
- New inmate housing (165,000-SF, 672 beds)
- Administration, magistrate, intake and booking, pre-trial release, inmate property, custody transfer, immigration and customs enforcement, processing and other program functions (92,000-SF)
- Inmate services, visitation, infirmary and food service spaces (70,000-SF)
- Video visitation is provided to reduce inmate movement thereby saving money on transportation costs
- Forensics labs (25,000-SF) Physical plant and warehouse spaces (53,000-SF)
- The Wake County’s Sheriff’s office
- A four-level, 300-car parking deck is also included.
The project achieved LEED Certification
Mark segment: Building
Start date: 2008
Completion date: 2012
Clients: Wake County, North Carolina
Country: United States
Project status: Completed