Head count statistics and employee survey results show a clear positive trend indicating we are progressing both in terms of diversity as well as inclusion.
Outperforming industry benchmarks
With the 2017 Group-wide employee survey, responses to diversity and inclusion questions were 3 to 6 percentage points higher than the external benchmarks.
The survey also established a strong internal correlation between inclusive leadership, intention to stay and effectiveness: managers who lead inclusively are also more likely to have key people stay and run effective teams.
At the Group level, headcount statistics show continued positive progress with diversity. Since 2012, the proportion of female employees in Skanska's 41,000-strong global workforce has grown from 12 to 17 percent, while the number of women at senior management levels (level 3 to 6) has grown from 13 to 22 percent.
As of Skanska's Annual General Meeting held in 2018, four out of seven board members elected by the shareholders (excluding Employee representatives) are women.
Employees by gender
|2017, %||2016, %||2015, %|
|Senior executives (Group Leadership Team, GLT)||67||33||78||22||78||22|
|Skanska AB Board of Directors||71||29||77||23||79||21|
The degree of advancement in Diversity and Inclusion varies between business units. One of the more successful units is Skanska Sweden, which increased the share of women in senior line positions from 10.3 percent in 2015 to 18.1 percent in 2017.
Also in terms of ethnic diversity, Skanska Sweden is continuously becoming better at mirroring the diversity in society. One of the activities to support this is International Leadership Program. We are happy about the progress in diversity and inclusion – however we are still far from where we need and want to me. We need to become even better in this area.
Awards and recognition
- Best in Industry Award 2016 (UK)
- Judges Supreme Recognition Award 2016 (UK)
- Malmö Stads Mångfalds-pris 2017 (Sweden). Read about Skanska winning Malmö City's diversity prize at Skanska Sweden's website (in Swedish).
- Mångfaldssmartaste Företaget 2017 (Sweden). Read about Skanska being awarded for being "The most diverse company of the year" (article in Swedish published on Kvalitetsmagasinet's website)
- #3 "Top Employer for Social Mobility" (UK 2017).
- #122 on Forbe's list "Best Employer for Diversity" (US 2018)