The built environment accounts for approximately 40% of all energy consumption. About 80% of this is consumed during the operational lifetime of a building with the remainder used during manufacture of the materials used in construction (circa 15%) and the construction process itself (circa 5%).
Challenges and opportunities
Since fossil fuels are the source of much of the energy used in the built environment in Skanska's home markets there is an opportunity to reduce demand during:
- Production of energy-intensive materials of construction such as cement, ferrous metals, non-ferrous metals, glass and bricks
- The construction process itself
- Life-time use of the structure
There is also a growing opportunity to replace fossil energy with renewable energy. Skanska looks to exploit this opportunity on its own assets and on projects for its customers when the economic conditions are favorable.
Further information is available in our Green Urban Development Report #1- "The rise of local energy communities" (PDF).
Policy and strategy
Skanska's approach to energy is to focus on things we can directly control and directly influence.
Our Environmental Policy states that we will champion the efficiency use of energy.
We aim to:
- Boost energy efficiency in how we build and what we build
- Substitute fossil energy with renewable energy when economic conditions are favorable in our operations and on our projects
- Give preference to the concept of “zero net primary energy” when the technical and economic conditions favor it
In order to access global best practice we have for many years supported energy efficiency programs at WBCSD and elsewhere. Since 2008 Skanska has been involved in the Energy Efficiency in Buildings Initiative (EEBI). You can find more information on the World Business Council For Sustainable Development website at WBCSD EEBI.
In 2008 we started to proactively focus on energy efficiency as an opportunity rather than a compliance matter. We embarked on a series of mitigation measures focused on our people, assets and like-minded clients.