LaGuardia Airport - Central Terminal B Redevelopment
Visionary Project – First Phase
Skanska is leading the design and construction of the LaGuardia Central project, a public-private partnership between LaGuardia Gateway Partners and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The project is the beginning of a new vision for the overall redevelopment of LaGuardia Airport. It will improve the traveling experience for millions of people and it will be a major economic generator for the region.
Expediting Critical Infrastructure
Under an innovative public-private partnership — the largest in the United States — LaGuardia Gateway Partners will design, build, operate and maintain the Central Terminal B facility. The public-private partnership contract includes taking over operations of the existing Central Terminal Building and designing, building, financing, operating and maintaining a new replacement terminal for a lease term through 2050. The project will be financed using equity, debt, passenger facility charges, retail, and airline revenues. As part of the public-private partnership, the risk of cost overruns or schedule delays in the LaGuardia project will be transferred from the Port Authority to LaGuardia Gateway Partners.
Major modernization and redevelopment
LaGuardia Airport opened to the public in 1964 with a design capacity of 8 million annual air passengers. Today, Terminal B annually serves more than 14 million passengers. This project will position LaGuardia Airport to meet the needs of the 21st Century. Specific components include:
- A new Terminal B
- A Central Hall designed to unify the Airport
- A new West Garage
- A pedestrian walkway connection between the new Terminal B and the new West Garage
- A new central heating and refrigeration plant
- A consolidated receiving and warehouse distribution facility
- A new hydrant aircraft fueling infrastructure located within the new Terminal B contiguous aircraft ramp areas (collectively, the “New Terminal B Facilities”).
- The design and construction of:
- Improvements to the public airport roads and utilities associated with such roadway improvements
- Replacement utilities and new utilities serving the New Terminal B Facilities
- Associated toll plaza for the new West Garage serving the New Terminal B Facilities
- Airfield modifications between the New Terminal B Facilities and the adjacent taxiways
- A building fit-out for relocation of Port Authority operations.
Timeline for project
Preferred Bidder Selection: May 2015
Governor Cuomo Unveils Vision for LaGuardia Airport: July 2015
Lease Authorization: March 2016
Commencement: 1 June 2016
Operate & Maintain Terminal: 1 June 2016 to 30 December 2050
LaGuardia Central reflects recommendations from New York Governor Cuomo’s Airport Advisory Panel, including the new light-filled Central Entry Hall, which will connect Terminals B and C and unify the airport for the first time. By constructing the new terminal closer to the Grand Central Parkway, it will increase airport taxiways and reduce airport ground delays.
LaGuardia Gateway Partners is composed of Skanska, Vantage Airport Group and Meridiam for development and equity investment; Skanska-Walsh as the design build joint venture; HOK and WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff for design; and Vantage Airport Group for management of the operations. LaGuardia Gateway Partners’ members have worked on more than 350 aviation and transportation projects globally and domestically, including international airports in New York (John F. Kennedy), Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Chile, and The Bahamas.